Solicitor’s Licensing Application
Solicitors, Canvassers, and Peddlers
Each individual desiring to engage in door-to-door solicitation in Millard County unincorporated areas, prior to doing so, is required to obtain a solicitor’s license. (All solicitation inside incorporated city/town limits must obtain a solicitor’s license from that city/town.) Solicitor’s licenses are issued by the County Clerk and are valid for one (1) year. Each solicitor will be issued a license card that is required to be on your person at all times while soliciting in Millard County. There is a five day waiting period before the license is issued. Once your license has been approved, we will contact you to pick up your license. The cost for a solicitor’s license is $25.00 (payable by check, cash or money order to the Millard County Clerk’s Office) and must accompany the Solicitors License Application.
Top of Page
A Solicitor License is required to help ensure the safety of the citizens of Millard County. It is in the best interest of our citizens to know that each individual that comes to their homes selling a product, or a service has been given a background check to ensure that they have not been a problem individual in the past.
It also provides protection for the solicitor. With a solicitor’s license, they are able to assure their clients that they have been checked out by the County and have met the requirements for a license. It lends to their credibility in that they have sought to do business in an upright manner in the County.
Top of Page
The first step is to obtain a copy of your criminal history from the Bureau of Criminal Identification within the last 180 days. You may do this in person or through the mail. You may apply at:
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 W 5400 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84118
If solicitor is NOT a resident of Utah; then besides completing the Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigations, you will also need to bring in another background check from your state of permanent residency also within the last 180 days.
Top of Page
Each individual soliciting is required to submit the following information
at the time of applying for a solicitor’s permit:
- Completed Solicitors License Application
- Fee ($25.00)
- Picture Identification (verification must be in person)
- A valid driver’s license issued by any State, or
- A valid passport issued by the United State, or
- A valid identification card issued by any State, or
- A valid identification issued by a branch of the United State Military
- A (2”x2”) photograph taken within 6 months immediately prior to the date of filing the application showing the head and shoulders of the applicant in a clear and distinguishing manner.
- Proof that the entity has registered with the Utah State Department of Commerce
- Your State Sales Tax number or a special events sales tax number – Contact the Utah State Tax Commission at (801) 297-6303.
- List all other counties or municipalities in which the applicant has engaged in business within the six (6) month period preceding the date of the application.
- If an applicant desires to sell fresh vegetables, fruits, meats or other foodstuffs, a statement by a licensed reputable physician of the state, dated not more than ten (10) days prior to submission of the application, certifying the applicant to be free of infectious, contagious, or communicable diseases.
- If the applicant is employed by another person, firm or corporation, provide the documents showing that the person, firm or corporation for which the applicant proposes to do business is authorized to do business within the state. (1988 Code § 4.24.040)
- Any other licenses, permits, registrations, or other qualifications required by federal or state law to promote, provide, or render advice regarding the offered goods or services.
- A BCI background check (or equivalent background check from the applicant’s home state if the applicant is not a Utah resident)
Solicitor Licenses are Non-Transferable.