Who Is Eligible To Vote In Utah?

In order to vote in the State of Utah, you must be registered.

To register to vote in Utah, you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States
  • Reside in Utah for at least 30 days immediately before the next election
  • Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
  • If you have been previously incarcerated for a felony conviction but are no longer incarcerated, OR are currently incarcerated pre-trial or for misdemeanor conviction you are eligible to register and vote in Utah.

Am I Currently Registered To Vote?

If you are not sure if you are currently registered to vote, please call the Millard County Clerk’s Office at (435)743-6223, or (435)864-2440, or visit vote.utah.gov.  If you are not registered to vote, please review the information below.

When Can I Register To Vote?

You may register to vote at any time. However, to be eligible to vote in an election, you MUST meet certain deadlines as explained in the next section.

How Do I Register To Vote?

There are several ways you can register and you can select any one method that works for you.
 Online Registration: You can register to vote online simply by going to the Online Voter Registration Website and completing the online form. In order to register online, you must have a current Utah Driver’s License or ID Card. If you are registering online, you must submit your registration at least 7 days prior to an election to be eligible to vote in that election.
 By-Mail Registration: You may use a by-mail voter registration form that can be found in our office or at vote.utah.gov. If you are registering to vote using a by-mail voter registration form, you must mail your completed registration form to the Clerk’s Office at least 30 days before the election to be eligible to vote in that election.
 In-person Registration: You may register in person at the Millard County Clerk’s Office; 765 South Hwy 99, Ste. 6, Fillmore, UT 84631. The office is open weekdays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and is closed on weekends and legal holidays. You must register in person at least 7 days prior to an election to be eligible to vote in that election.
To participate in early voting, you must register to vote at least 30 days (by mail), and/or 15 days (online or in person) before the election. [See more about early voting below].

Do I Have To Select A Political Party When I Register To Vote?

You do not have to select a political party affiliation when you register to vote. If you do not wish to affiliate with a political party, just select “no party preference” or unaffiliated on your voter registration form.
Political parties in Utah may choose to close their primary elections (held in June of even-numbered years) and only allow those voters affiliated with their party to vote in their primary election. If you want to vote in the primary election of a party that has chosen to close their primary to voters who are not affiliated with their party, you would need to affiliate with that political party. Note: Political parties have allowed unaffiliated voters to affiliate at the polls and participate in the closed primary elections. (Party affiliation only pertains to partisan primary races held in even-numbered years. It does not apply to non-partisan primary races.)

Please Note: Millard County is a vote by mail county, therefore, you will receive your ballot by mail.  Prior to a Primary Election, you will receive information and a registration form giving you the option to change your affiliation, if you choose to do so.  If you do not update your affiliation at that time, you will receive the appropriate ballot for the affiliation we have on file for you.

What Information Will I Receive After Registering To Vote?

Once you register to vote, you will be sent a Voter Information Card, which lists your precinct number and the various political jurisdictions in which you reside such as your congressional, state house and senate, county council, city council, as well as your state and local school board districts. You can check who your elected officials are by visiting vote.utah.gov.   This site will also provide you with your elected officials, a sample ballot for your precinct and help you locate  a vote center.  (Millard County does not offer early voting, since we are a vote by mail county.)  Your Voter Information Card is not needed in order to vote; it is for informational purposes only.

Will I Ever Need to Re-Register To Vote?

You will need to update your registration if you change your name, your address and/or your political party affiliation. You will also have to re-register if you do not vote, or make any changes to your registration within 2 general elections.

Please Note: In order to guarantee that you receive a ballot each County Election, you must make sure we have the correct mailing address on file.  Since Millard County is a vote by mail county, if any mail is returned to our office as undeliverable for any reason, you will be marked inactive and will not be sent a ballot, until we receive an updated mailing address.

What If I Am Registered To Vote But I Moved?

If you are currently registered to vote in Millard County, but you moved within the County, you would need to re-register with your new address. If you previously registered to vote in another county in the State of Utah or a different state, you will need to re-register to vote in Millard County. Please refer to the information above regarding the various methods you can use to register to vote. If you move outside of Millard County, you will need to re-register to vote in the new county or state of residency.

What If I Moved, But Didn’t Notify The Election Division Before The Deadline?

If you are registered to vote in Millard County, but moved within the County, you need to update your registration as soon as possible, to guarantee that you will receive a ballot.  Ballots are sent 30 days prior to an election.  If you have been previously registered to vote in the State of Utah, but did not update your address before Election Day, you may vote a provisional ballot at one of our vote centers on Election Day.  The County Clerk’s Office will verify if your provisional ballot will be counted for that election and then your voter registration will be updated.

Where Do I Vote On Election Day?

Millard County offers two vote centers on Election Day: Millard County Clerk’s Office in Fillmore; 765 S Hwy 99, Ste. 6; and Millard County Satellite Offices in Delta; 71 S 200 W.

Can I Vote Using My Old Voting Precinct If I Moved?

No, according to State law, you are required to vote in your new precinct when you move. Millard County is divided into many political jurisdictions and elected officials represent citizens who live within a specific area. In order to vote for the elected officials who represent you, please update your street address, as well as your mailing address immediately, so that we can update your registration and make sure you receive the appropriate ballot.

Can I Vote Prior To Election Day?

Yes, Millard County is a vote by mail county, therefore, you will receive your ballot in the mail approximately 30 days before the election.  You can vote your ballot anytime after receiving it and either mail it back to our office or drop it at one of the ballot drop off locations, or bring it to the clerk’s office.

Will I Need To Provide Identification To Vote Now that I will Receive My County Ballot Through The Mail?

Yes, all voters must present identification in order to vote.  If you have voted previously in Millard County you have already shown your ID.  If you have never voted in Millard County before, or are registering for the first time in Millard County, you will need to bring proof of identification to our office before a ballot can be counted for you.  For a list of valid voter identification, please see Voter ID Requirements.

Why Was I Offered A Provisional Ballot?

A voter may be issued and vote a provisional ballot on Election Day if the voter’s eligibility cannot be immediately determined by the election worker for any one of the following reasons: The voter is not in the official register; does not have identification with him/her when voting in person; has moved, but did not change his/her address with the Election Office prior to voting; OR the voter may be listed as already voted.
The eligibility of the voter who voted a provisional ballot will be determined by the County Clerk’s Office after Election Day.  If the voter was eligible to vote, the provisional ballot will be counted, if for whatever reason the provisional ballot was not counted the voter will be notified.

Why Does My Precinct Boundary Change?

State Law requires county clerks to establish precincts that contain no more than 1,250 active registered voters. As voter population and political jurisdictions change, precincts must be adjusted to best serve voters. By law, precinct boundaries can only be adjusted in odd-numbered years.

How Do Municipal Elections Differ From County Elections?

Municipal elections are nonpartisan and are held in odd-numbered years to elect the city mayor and/or council members. These elections are the statutory responsibility of the city recorders/town clerks.  Polling locations may be different than those used in even-numbered years since precincts are consolidated as a cost-saving measure and may not offer vote by mail.  If you have any questions regarding municipal elections, please contact your City/Town Clerk.  Countywide elections are held in even-numbered years and are administered by the County Clerk.

Close Search Window